Even if you don’t know what it means, you’ve likely seen the word plastered on skincare labels with increasing frequency in recent years: peptides.
More than ever, companies are infusing their skincare products with peptides, many of which they claim work miracles for your skin. But what are peptides really, and how can you best use them to boost your health?
The truth is, peptides are the potentially life-changing building blocks of proteins you can harness to derive amazing benefits––not just for your skin, but also for other important aspects of your overall health.
In this article, we’ll break down what peptides actually are (in simple terms), how they work, and which specific peptides can boost your health in unique ways.
What Are Peptides?
At their most basic, peptides are chains of amino acids that are found in all living organisms. But not all amino acids or peptides are created equal. In fact, there are twenty different amino acids that can be mixed and matched to create a large variety of peptides and proteins.
What’s the difference between amino acids, peptides, and proteins?
If a molecule consists of between 2 and 50 amino acids, it is referred to as a peptide. If a molecule consists of more than 50 amino acids, it is generally referred to as a protein.
So the chain goes: amino acids > peptides > proteins.
How Do Peptides Work?
Peptides are produced naturally in your glands and organs, such as your stomach, intestine, and brain. Like hormones, they function as biological messengers, relaying information from one tissue to the other through the blood.
Many people are wary of peptides because they have synthetic-sounding names like PT-141 and CJC-1295, but rest assured: they are all part of the basic building blocks of our bodies. Because they are natural and essential for your overall health, they’re safe to take and can even have some surprising health benefits.
While some peptides are phenomenal at improving your skin elasticity, their impact can be more than skin deep. Certain peptides can help with necessary bodily functions, such as regulating blood glucose levels and regulating your appetite, as well as other uses, such as disease prevention.
These are just a few of the benefits that peptides can offer.
Tissue Repair and Pain Reduction:
- BPC-157—BPC-157 is a stable gastric peptide that helps with everything from wound healing to gastrointestinal issues. Studies show that BPC helps accelerate the healing of tendon-to-bone injuries, damaged ligaments, skin burns, and even traumatic brain injury (TBI). It also acts systematically in the digestive tract to combat leaky gut, IBS, gastrointestinal cramps, and Crohn’s disease.
One of the biggest benefits of BPC-157 is its protective qualities. The peptide prevents gastric ulcers, which can be extremely painful and difficult to deal with. It also protects your liver from toxic damage. If you consume alcohol on a regular basis, have diabetes or certain types of cancer, or frequently take antibiotics, BPC-157 is a safe way for you to protect your liver from damage.
Anti-Aging and Skincare
- GHK-Cu—This peptide has a variety of important roles in the human body. It has been shown to speed up the wound healing process, boost the function of immune cells, stimulate collagen production, promote blood vessel growth, and reduce inflammation. It even acts as an anti-oxidant.
As we age, our body naturally produces less GHK-Cu and less collagen. With GHK-Cu peptide treatments, you can restore levels of collagen and this critical peptide in your body.
As a result, your immune system will be able to better handle whatever life throws your way, from the Flu or sinus infections to bone breaks and chronic inflammatory diseases. Plus, the increased collagen levels will help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Estrogen, Testosterone, and Sexual Health
- PT-141—Unlike Viagra and other sexual health medication, PT-141 treats sexual dysfunction in both men and women not by targeting the vascular system, but instead through the nervous system.
Muscle Growth And Weight Loss
- Tesamorelin–Tesamorelin is a Growth Hormone Releasing Hormone that helps promote healthy bone and tissue growth. Because it restricts your body’s production of triglycerides, the peptide also helps with weight loss.
- CJC-1295/Ipamorelin–When used together, these popular peptides cause your body to release more GHRHs, which allows your body to shed weight more easily. They are five times more effective when used together than used separately
- IGF-This peptides improves muscle strength and helps aid in weight loss.
Reclaim Your Youth With Peptides At Matrix Age Management
As you can see, there are vast and potentially life-changing uses for peptides. If you’re able to wade through the hype and misinformation, you can find treatments that fit your needs and leave you feeling better than you have in years.
At Matrix Age Management, we know how scary it is to age. When you wake up and look in the mirror, you want to see a face and body that reflect the youthful spirit you still feel inside. That’s why we have expanded our age management offerings to include peptide treatments.
To learn more about peptides, and to discover a treatment plan that works best for you, schedule a consultation.