In our world of convenience stores and fast-food restaurants, our road trips have become the highway to extra, unwanted pounds. Often, we'll pull off the highway to load up on gas and simultaneously load up on processed junk foods like candy and chips.
If you want to get away on your next road trip without gaining extra weight, pack one of these 10 healthy snacks. They'll keep you full and energized for the drive or plane ride to your destination without piling up the calorie count.
- Carrot sticks – Packed with vitamin A, this classic snack is a great option because of its nutritional value and ultimate convenience. You can easily pack a bag of baby carrots and nibble on them without guilt.
- Grapes – If you crave something sweet, pack a handful of grapes into some plastic baggies. Grapes are rich in antioxidants, helping prevent heart disease and promoting weight loss.
- Mozzarella cheese sticks and apple slices – This combination of protein and fiber will go a long way towards filling you up without overloading on the calories. Bag up apple slices with non-fat cheese sticks for the perfect combo.
- Cottage cheese – Another classic snack that brings healthy portions of protein to help you feel more satiated, cottage cheese is available in convenient snack size containers for easy portion control.
- Greek yogurt with fruit– Here is another dairy option that comes in convenient portion-sized containers. Greek yogurts also come in a wide variety of flavors to keep your snack options interesting and wide open.
- Hummus – In addition to being another excellent source of protein, Hummus also packs a lot of B vitamins and folate. You can choose your favorite dipping item, such as whole wheat crackers, to make this a nutritious and fulfilling snack option.
- Beef jerky – Beef jerky is naturally high in protein. While there are several flavors to choose from, you will want to be sure to check the label and choose a brand that is low in sodium and preservatives.
- Almonds – Nothing beats snacking away on a handful of nuts while you watch the miles pass you by out the car window. There are several options to choose from, and many brands offer snack size bags for better portion control.
- Energy or protein bars – If you are looking for something a little more filling, grab a protein bar. Many of these bars can actually suffice as a small meal, which can help keep you out of the drive-thru.
- Don’t forget water – With all this talk of food, it’s easy to forget about drinking enough water. Not only will it keep you hydrated on the long journey, but it can also help you to feel fuller longer.
Whether you're taking a week-long summer vacation or just a day trip to visit relatives, you can enjoy guilt-free travel by avoiding the temptation to binge on empty calories. Pack these healthy options or create your own snacks from our healthy portions guide.